The most amazing plump fresh pineapples have been in my local grocery store the last few weeks. Mine spent the week finishing up ripening in the kitchen to a rough golden skin. I knew I would slice it up today and we’d enjoy its sweetness.
Since, I’ve been missing Hawaii something fierce, Huli Huli chicken wings caught my eye in an email showcasing grilled chicken.
What more perfect way to fulfill something I was missing than with the chicken I planned on grilling tonight and the pineapple crying to be enjoyed.
The Huli Huli Chicken recipe I had come across called for 1 cup pineapple juice. Why not just add 8 oz. pineapple to my blender and it will be juice.
Need a little Hawaii on your table?
In my best Dwayne Johnson (Maui) sounding voice,
Huli Huli Chicken Thighs
Note: The blended pineapple pulp has more enzymes than the juice and breaks down the muscle fibers quickly. No need to marinate longer than 30 minutes. If using bone-in, skin on, you could get away with a longer marinade time, but not more than an hour.
- 3 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs (if using bone in with skin cook longer)
- 8 oz fresh chopped pineapple
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1-inch piece ginger root peeled and finely grated, or 1/4 ounce ginger paste
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon sriracha
- Thinly sliced green onion (white and light green parts only), for garnish
- Grilled pineapple wedges, for serving (optional)
- Put chicken in a resealable bag.
- In a blender, combine pineapple, soy sauce, light brown sugar, chicken stock, ginger, and garlic.
- Pour half of sauce into bag of chicken, seal bag, and toss to coat. Cover remaining sauce in bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- Place bag of chicken in refrigerator and let marinate for 15- 30 minutes. (see Note above)
- Preheat grill on medium high heat to 500 degrees. Place meat on grill and lower heat to medium (400-450 degrees). Grill boneless, skinless thighs for 8-10 minutes per side. Grill bone-in thighs for 12-15 minutes per side or until juices run clear.
- If desired, grill pineapple wedges for 5 minutes, baste with sauce, turn, baste again and grill for 5 -10 minutes more.