I have my way of doing things; my weekly routine. It adapts to changes, but I usually can fit “my” way of doing things into those changes.
I’m looking forward to the days when I can go back to this. For example, grocery shopping…. with an actual list. I don’t know about you, but making a menu and expecting to find what you need at the store doesn’t match up. It has gotten better since the end of April in Covid California. But, the media tries to imply this may be short lived.
Enter, pantry and refrigerator staples. Our “in case of earthquake” supplies have been devoured so, my grocery cart is now filled with a new supply of various canned beans, pastas, and whatever vegetables and meats are on the shelf.
This recipe, due to Covid, is a combination and an adaptation of two other recipes in my Pinterest library. The key to cooking in these months is learning to adapt to change and blending the ingredients we can find into still amazing dishes. It can be done, and we can enjoy it.
If, you don’t have sumac, it has a lemony flavor, just omit and sprinkle finished chicken with more lemon.
God bless for now.
Sumac Chicken with Orzo Salad
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons ground sumac
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 box uncooked orzo pasta
- 15 ounce can Garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Directions for Marinade and Chicken:
- Whisk oil, lemon juice, garlic, sumac, cumin and salt in a medium bowl.
- Add chicken and turn to coat. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- Grill chicken at about 400 degrees for 10 minutes, flip and grill for another 10 or until juices run clear or internal temperature reaches 160.
- Remove to platter and rest or refrigerate and serve cold with Orzo Salad.
Directions for Salad:
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat; drain well.
- Combine pasta, garbanzo beans, tomatoes, bell pepper, and red onion in a large bowl; toss well.
- Combine vinegar, oregano, oil and salt in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- Drizzle vinegar mixture over salad; toss well to coat.