One of my favorite quick week night dinners from our newlywed years.
No idea why I’ve not shared this recipe before. It’s inexpensive and can be expanded to feed many or few depending on your family size.
This is my chicken drumsticks or thighs on huge sale at the store recipe. Chinese Pot Roast Chicken night.
Do you have a recipe like that?
Under $5.00 to feed the whole family.
Seriously, not many recipes are this good for that price.
I love the dressiness that the broccolini adds, but exchange it for broccoli and you just brought the cost down for this meal.
27 years a family favorite, savory, rich and flavor packed, for an easy budget friendly dinner.
Your welcome. =D
Chinese Pot Roast Chicken
- 3-4 lbs. chicken drumsticks and/or thighs (skin on with bone is best)
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons Soy Sauce, divided
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 celery stalks, sliced 1/4 inch thick on diagonal
- 4 green onions, sliced into 1 inch lengths
- Broccolini, cut in half or broccoli pieces
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, (omit for Keto diet)
- 1 teaspoon sugar, (omit for Keto diet)
- Put chicken pieces in large ziploc bag, add 1/4 cup soy sauce. Rotate bag to ensure all pieces marinate in the soy sauce. Let stand for 15-30 minutes.
- Heat oil in dutch oven or high sided skillet over medium heat; add chicken, brown uncovered rotating pieces after a few minutes to brown all sides.
- Cover and simmer on low for 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken from pan; keep warm.
- Add garlic, celery, green onions and broccolini to pan and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Combine water, cornstarch, soy sauce and sugar; stir into the pan and cook until sauce boils and thickens slightly.
- Serve vegetables and sauce with chicken.