Let’s talk cake for a minute.
My amazing man and I have been married for over 20 years now and one of the things he REALLY wants for his birthday is carrot cake. Just like pumpkin pie in the fall I have become a connoisseur of carrot cake because …it’s what he LOVES.
Sometimes you can get away with a box cake mix, but not when it comes to carrot cake. Just a piece of advice, it really NEEDS fresh carrots raisins and by all means, yes, pineapple. But this one, this one is special, it adds coconut too. And OH I can’t rave enough about it!
It is THE MOST INCREDIBLE CARROT CAKE!
It is dense, full of spice and just the perfect amount of sweetness.
Most of the time when I’m served a piece of cake I am hoping for something from the center. You know, no dried out floury edge. This cake though, take it from me, you want an edge piece. The carrots, raisins, pineapple, and coconut bits touching the edge benefit by caramelizing against the pan.
It is such an irresistible cake, like us you’ll find an excuse to eat it for breakfast. I mean, come on if donuts and cinnamon rolls are a breakfast item, why not carrot cake. Best morning ever! Especially this carrot cake for breakfast! I am sure if I made it in muffin cups you would agree.
And on top, a dreamy layer of the best cream cheese frosting. Carrot cake really loves that much frosting. Okay, maybe it’s me but, when it comes to frosting why skimp? It’s not a glaze, it’s frosting, pile it on.
The Most Incredible Carrot Cake
The cake could easily be converted to a layer cake, but my man likes it as a big sheet cake so that’s how I make it.
For the Cake –
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/4 cup oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 small can crushed pineapple plus the juice
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
For the Cake –
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the eggs, oil, vanilla, and sugar beating well.
- Stir in carrots, pineapple and juice, coconut and raisins.
- In another bowl combine flour through cinnamon. Then add to wet ingredients and beat until combined.
- Grease a 9 x 13 x 2″ pan, pour batter into pan and bake at 350 for 55 – 60 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Ingredients for the Frosting –
- 2 – 8 ounce packages Cream Cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
- powdered sugar – too taste, I like about 3/4 lb to a 1 lb box
- Note you can easily cut the recipe in half, but I like a thick layer of frosting. If you are making a layer cake, don’t skimp on the frosting.
Preparation for the Frosting –
While cake cools. – Beat softened cream cheese and butter until creamed and smooth. Add vanilla, beat until combined. Add some of the powdered sugar and beat on low until combined, taste and add until sweetened to your liking. Beat on medium until smooth.
When cake is cool frost and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Hint – The corner pieces are the best in my opinion, the fruits caramelize against the edge of the pan. Let me know if you agree.
Up and coming projects… Blackberry, Blueberry and Vanilla Cordial (updated with finished Cordial)
and Blackened Salmon