It was unusually cold last week. Okay, chilly for California. So I was in the mood to make soup, but still being on a low carb diet I couldn’t make the soup that I was craving.
This chowder is so quick,easy, warming, and filling. I decided to go ahead and make it, but swap out the corn and replace it with shredded chicken. I also didn’t need the chile in it due to the heat coming from the chorizo, so I left that out as well. We were all pleased with the results. Plenty of heat in the chorizo, yet warm and hearty enough to fill my family, of four strong young men. If you like it spicier, add some Tapatio or other hot sauce.
2lbs. Chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
10 oz. Pork Chorizo, casing removed
2 C. Chicken Broth
1 C. Heavy Cream
1/4 C. Red Onion, slivered
1/2 C. Cilantro
1 C. shredded cheese
2 limes sliced
Preparation: (Look how easy)
- Cook chorizo in a pan, breaking it into small pieces. Drain fat or blot with paper towels.
- Add shredded chicken to the pan stirring to mix with the chorizo.
- Add broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat add cream and bring to a simmer but not to a boil.
Serve topped with slivered red onions, cilantro, shredded cheese, and a squeeze of lime.
– It would also be wonderful with some tortilla chips crumpled on top.