Chipotle Pork Tacos
Sweet, Salty, and Savory with a kick!
These tacos always taste amazing! The recipe easily adjusts to feed a crowd. Serve it in a crockpot and you have a portable potluck ready meal. My mouth waters just thinking about them. YUM!
- 4-pounds pork shoulder (Boston butt)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cup chopped onion
- 3-4 tablespoons honey
- 1 T + 1 teas. ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 25 large garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 – 6 chipotle chiles, canned in adobo sauce ( depending on taste)
- 3-4 T. salt
- 2 cups lower-sodium chicken broth
- Juice of 2 limes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat oil over medium heat in large dutch oven and brown pork (it can be cut into large chunks or left whole).
- While the pork browns, add the next 8 ingredients – onion through broth to a blender and puree.
- After all sides of the pork have been browned, add blended ingredients to the dutch oven and bring to a boil uncovered.
- Once it has come to a boil, cover the dutch oven and bake in a 350 degree oven or simmer tightly covered.
- Bake for 3 hours, checking and turning meat every hour.
The last hour I prefer to uncover the pot to encourage the sauce and meat to caramelize.
7. When meat is tender and tears easily with a fork remove the pot from the oven. Remove portions to a cutting board or plate and shred the meat.
8. Add the shredded meat back to the pan and continue shredding all other portions of meat.
9. Add the lime juice. Stir the meat to incorporate it into the sauce.
Note: If desired, and time permits, I usually put the pot back in the oven to thicken and brown it some more. About 30 minutes.
When ready to serve…. heat tortillas, add shredded cheese, cilantro, sour cream, and avocado or guacamole.
But to make them truly amazing add Citrus Marinated Onions!